Click here to join Sisters in Crime, a live virtual discussion group happening at 2pm.
What Authors Need to Know About Small Business and Taxes: Mike Kowis, Esq.
You’ve decided that 2021 is the year to launch your career as an author. What kind of business should you form and how? Which book related expenses are deductible on your federal income tax return? In today’s meeting, tax attorney Mike Kowis provides an overview of the types of author business entities and how to get started.
Mike Kowis, Esq practices tax law for a Fortune 500 company in Texas. He teaches Business Law and Corporate Tax classes for a community college in Texas. Kowis has written four books including 14 Steps to Self Publishing a Book and Texas Off Road Racing: A Father Son Journey to a Side by Side Championship. He is a graduate of Stephen F. Austin, Thurgood Marshall School of Law and holds an advanced law degree in taxation from Georgetown University Law Center and is licensed to practice law in two states.
Please read these ground rules ahead of the conversation:
- Please keep your camera on for the discussion and provide your name.
- Mute if there is background noise.
- Respect the privacy of others by not reporting what you hear in this conversation with any specificity or attribution.
- Be respectful and listen when others are speaking.
- Allow everyone’s voice to be heard that wants to be heard.