Digital Resource Instructions
1. To access Kanopy directly, visit https://westbank.kanopy.com you can also access it from the home page on the website or on the library’s catalog under Electronic Resources.
2. On the Kanopy site, click on “Sign Up” on the upper right hand corner and create a Kanopy account. You’ll use this login info for all future logins.
3. Once logged in, click on your name at the top-right corner and select “My Memberships” from the drop-down menu.
4. Search for Westbank Community Library and click “Add”
- Library members with a full membership can use their play credits to enjoy up to five videos per month.
- A play credit is logged when a video is watched for more than 30 seconds.
- Members can stop viewing anytime and resume the same video within a 72 hour window to leverage the same play credit.
Get started with Libby
Install the Libby app from your device’s app store.
Or, visit libbyapp.com in your Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge browser.
In Libby, follow the prompts to find Westbank library and sign in with your valid library card.
Browse our library’s collection and borrow a title.
Borrowed titles appear on under Shelf > Loans and download to the app automatically when you’re connected to Wi-Fi, so you can read them when you’re offline.
From your Loans, you can:
- Tap Open Book to choose where you’d like to read the book (Kindle or Libby), then finish sending to Kindle or start reading in Libby.
- Tap Open Audiobook to start listening to that title.
- Tap the due date to see options like Renew and Return.
If you need more help with Libby, please visit Libby Help. Happy reading!
Members can borrow 5 ebooks or audiobooks per month.
To read ebooks on the Overdrive app:
1. Install the OverDrive app from your device’s app store or from app.overdrive.com.
3. Sign in to your account with your library card number and phone number. Click the check mark to remember login information.
4. On the app’s menu, Tap BOOKSHELF, then tap “Add Title” to search for a book in our collection.
5. Tap the “BORROW” button.
After you borrow a title, you can:
- Select Read now with Kindle (U.S. only) to complete checkout on Amazon’s website and send the book to your Kindle device or Kindle reading app.
- Select Download to download EPUB ebooks and MP3 audiobooks to the app Bookshelf.
- Select Read now in browser to open ebooks right in your web browser.
- Close the pop-up window to keep browsing and borrowing.
To see all of your borrowed titles, tap to go to your library Loans page.
To open the titles you downloaded or added to the app, go to your app Bookshelf.
- Search by title, author, or genre in main search box.
- Advanced search allows you to search for titles by multiple criteria, including ISBN, audience, format, subject, and more.
- Find items available now by choosing the Available now option.
- Click the 3 vertical lines (menu) in the upper right corner to locate your bookshelf and other menu items.
To download books to a Kindle eReader:
1: Use a computer or mobile device to open https://westbanklibrary.overdrive.com/
2: In the library’s digital collection, use the advanced search or search filters to find and borrow an eBook that’s available in the Kindle Book format.
3: Select to go to your Loans page. From there, select Download, then Kindle Book. You’ll be taken to Amazon’s website to complete your checkout.
4: On Amazon’s website, follow the on-screen prompts to “Get library book” and wirelessly deliver it to your Kindle eReader. You’ll need to sign into (or create) an Amazon account to complete this process.
Note: Your Kindle eReader must have a Wi-Fi internet connection to download library Kindle Books from Amazon. If you don’t have a Wi-Fi connection, you will need to transfer the Kindle Book to your Kindle eReader via USB.
Once you deliver a library Kindle Book to your Kindle eReader, it works like any other Kindle Book.
For a video overview of how to get started with a Kindle, check out our Kindle help video.
For more help with Kindle eReaders, please visit Amazon support.
An RB Digital account is required for checking out digital magazines. Click Login on upper right hand corner. First time users click on Create New Account.
Checking Out and Reading Digital Magazines
On a Desktop Computer:
- Click the cover of a magazine you want. Click the blue checkout button and then the start reading button.
- Your magazine will open in a new tab and may take a moment to load fully.
- To turn the page, click the arrow icons on the far left and right sides of the page, or use the right and left arrow keys.
- Controls are located on the left side of the page and hovering over each icon will show its function.
On Mobile Devices:
- Get the free RBdigital Mobile App for your device: iOS | Android | Kindle Fire
- After installing, open app and you’ll be prompted to enter your username or email for your account. After entering, tap NEXT and enter your password.
- Click the cover of a magazine you want and click the red CHECKOUT button then the green READ button
- Swipe left or right to turn the pages.
To read Consumer Reports on your desktop:
2. The front page of Flipster will only display Consumer Reports and Consumer Reports Buying Guide. Click on the cover of Consumer Reports to view the latest and past issues.
3. Use the right and left arrow icons to navigate the issue…
4. Click on the search box to either search this issue or change the drop down selection to search all issues…
ACCESSING THE CATALOG:
You can access the catalog directly using the catalog URL: https://westbank.biblionix.com, or by clicking “Catalog” on the website menu.
There are 3 ways to search: “Search All Fields,” “More Search Options,” and “What’s Trending.”
1. Search All Fields:
The simplest way to search, this option searches all titles, subtitles, authors’ or actors’ first and last names, subject terms, summaries, and any other keywords in the item’s catalog record. Results are listed based on relevancy.
To use this method, simply type a word, words, or phrase, into the blank at the top of the screen. Push the Enter key on your keyboard or click the GO! button. If you need to narrow your search results, you may choose from other search options from the drop-down menu such as “Title Starts With,” “Title Contains,” or “Author.”
Keyword Search Examples:
- DVDs based on books by John Grisham: grisham dvd
- The Lord of the Rings series: “lord of the rings”
- Snakes in Texas: snakes texas
- Items involving a specific fictitious character: jack ryan
- A book you heard about by someone named Nat with “Sea” in the title: nat sea
2. More Search Options:
These options can help narrow your search results or perform a detailed search. You may search by full or partial title, keywords (such as “love stories,” “science,” or “animated films”), call number (this can be helpful when you want to search all Juvenile fiction and non-fiction), location in the library (i.e. adults, children’s, YA), material type, and more. The “AND” and “OR” options between each search can save time in performing multiple searches at once.
Advanced Search Example:
To search all Juvenile and picture books about dinosaurs:
Call # starts with: J
Call # starts with: E
3. What’s Trending:
Not sure what you’re looking for? Our catalog facilitates browsing in two ways. First, all newly purchased books and ebooks (not all are new releases) scroll across the top of the page with clickable book cover icons. You may also scroll down to “What’s Trending” on the left of the screen. Here, you can view the current most popular items, see what’s been recently added to the collection under “What’s New,” and view our librarian’s recommendations under “If You Like…”
Below is example image of a search result. It shows the top results for “puppy training.”
Location: Where in the library you can find the item.
Label: The spine label you will need to know to find the item.
Available WB/LL: These columns tell you how many items are at either Westbank (WB) or Laura’s Library (LL) as well as the total number we have in the collection.
Note: if you were to perform another search, your previous search(es) will appear above the current results for fast access. Instead of the “Back” button, use this history listing.
- Click on a column heading (Available, Label, Copyright Date, etc.) to sort the list by that heading. Click again to sort in the reverse direction.
- Click an item to see more information and read a summary of the item (if available).
- After logging on, you can reserve an item by clicking on it and clicking “Reserve this item.” This will notify you when the item is available for you to check out.
- Bookmarking an item allows you to make a list of things to check out without putting them on immediate reserve.
- After you click on a book, you may also click on subject heading links under the “Subject” field to aggregate a new list of results. (In this example, you can search for books about dogs, dog training, puppies, or puppy training.)