Beginning June 2…
Reserve the materials you would like to borrow
- On our catalog page, log in to your account in the upper right hand corner.
- Browse or search the catalog to find an item you would like to borrow. Click on the item, then click the reserve button.
- You can reserve up to 10 items at a time. Once you have received your items, you can reserve your next batch. (Some membership types have reserve and checkout limitations.)
- If you are using our Reserve Express service, please review your list of favorite authors and eliminate any that you are no longer interested in.
Pick up your materials after you have been notified
- You will be notified when your materials are ready. The notification will either be by email, text, or automated phone call – whichever you have specified in your account. The notification will tell you when your materials will be available for pick up and at which library (currently 1-4pm, Monday-Saturday, starting the day after you receive your notice; this may change over time).
- All of your items may not come in at the same time. We will hold your items for 6 days, so if you have requested multiple items, you might wait a few days after your notice to see if others turn up. This could save you a trip.
- We will check out your items for you when we put them on the reserve cart. We are trying to make this as hands-free as possible. We will give you extra time on the original checkout since we are checking the items out early.
- You will need your library card number to pick up your items.
- When you arrive at the library, there will be signs with instructions. Instructions may be different at the two libraries, and they may change over time. At Westbank, we are planning porch pickup and at Laura’s we are planning drive-thru.
- If you do not pick up your items by the date specified in your notification, we will return the item to the collection, and you may reserve it again when you are ready.
- Why do I have to wait a day to come pick up my items after I get my notice? Reserve notifications go out automatically from our library software. After that, we still have to check out your materials, wrap them, and get them on the cart. We are processing hundreds of reserve requests with reduced staff (since we cannot all be in the building at the same time), so we need that extra time. Thank you for your patience with the process!
- I reserved something, and I am not sure if I might have missed a pick up notification from you. Indeed, reserve notifications do sometimes go astray in spam folders or full phone messaging systems. If you log into your account, you can see what materials are checked out to you. If you see something was checked out today, this means it will be on the cart for you to pick up starting tomorrow. If you see something checked out within the last few days (but not today), it is already on the cart and you can pick it up today from 1-4pm (except Sundays).
- Why am I only able to reserve 3 items instead of 10? This could be be because you have a Texas membership which is limited to 3 reserves and checkouts, or it could be that you are trying to reserve Bluebonnets or LoneStars which are limited to 3 because of high demand.
- I didn’t make it to the library to pick up my reserve. Can you hold it an extra day? Currently, items are being held on the reserve cart for 6 days. We are not extending reserve holds beyond those 6 days. If you missed picking up your item during those 6 days, please just re-reserve it.
- I reserved an item that says it is on the shelf at the library. Will I get it tomorrow? Not necessarily. The list of reserve requests is very, very long right now, and we are processing as many as we can each day. Sometimes the material you requested has to be transferred from the other location. You will receive a notification when your reserve is being processed, and it will be available for pickup the next day.
- I am a day early to pick up my reserve. Can you just check to see if it is there? No, sorry. Please come back tomorrow when your notification told you it would be ready.
- I didn’t realize pick up was only from 1-4pm. Can I get my items anyway? No, sorry. Please come back between 1pm and 4pm.
Catalog browsing tips
- The book scroll at the top shows many of our latest additions. You can click on a book cover to open the record and reserve the item.
- The What’s Trending box has three tabs listing popular titles, recent purchases, and book lists.
- Our Suggested Reads page has additional book lists. Or you can ask a librarian to recommend titles for you!
- If you remember the title of a book you liked, and you click on it to open the record, NoveList will suggest similar titles, series, or authors.
- If you can’t remember the title of a book you read, you can find your checkout history in your library account.
- If you want to search the catalog for DVDs, add DVD to your search query: DVD mystery.
- When you pull up a list of materials in the catalog, you can click on the heading at the top of the list to rearrange the order. Clicking on copyright date, for example, will put the newest title on top.
Requests for materials to be purchased by the library
Our libraries are funded by sales tax, and our revenues have been impacted and will continue to be impacted for some time. We are accepting requests for materials purchases, but we will not be purchasing everything that is requested. Please limit your requests. Inter-library loan of materials is not currently available.
We are purchasing more digital materials than physical materials right now, because it is easier for people to share these. We are happy to assist you with learning how to use the digital library. Contact us at email@example.com or visit us during Visit a Librarian hours.
Following the most recent guidance from the CDC, we are quarantining materials for three days before sending them out of the library again. Wash hands after handling materials and consider quarantining materials an additional 3 days before using. If you are in a vulnerable population, wearing a mask or gloves to remind you not to touch your face while reading is suggested.
Other changes to service to make checking out easier for you
- All items, including DVDs, now have the same checkout period of 2 weeks.
- There are no overdue fees, but we appreciate the return of materials in a timely manner if others are waiting.
- If no one is waiting, your items will automatically renew up to two times.
- When an item is three weeks past its due date, your account will be blocked until you return the item. If you have extenuating circumstances, let us know.