Every year, hundreds of volunteers provide thousands of hours to help the library. Volunteers are needed for technology help, the checkout desk, and programs assistance. You must be at least 13 years of age to volunteer at the library.
1. Download your application below, or pick one up at the library.
2. Fill it out and sign it. If you’re a teen, you’ll need your parent or guardian’s signature too.
3. Return your completed application to the checkout desk at either library, or scan and email it to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Teen Volunteer FAQs
I am interested in volunteering for a regular weekly shift. What do I need to do?
- Fill out the correct application and turn it into the checkout desk at either Westbank or Laura’s Library. We view volunteering as a gateway to your first job. That means we expect you to come in and turn in your application yourself – as you would if you were applying for a job.
- If we have openings, we will contact you to schedule an interview, which will last approximately 10-15 minutes.
- If you’re selected for a volunteer position, we will train you during your first scheduled shift. Shifts range from two to three hours per week, depending on the time and day of the week. Our libraries are very busy, so we expect you to be able to come every week and to commit for at least one semester.
- If you can’t make it, you will need to arrange to find a substitute.
I can’t make it to my scheduled shift, how do I find a substitute?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. IMPORTANT: Be sure to include the day, date, time, and at which library you work. These email requests are sent to all teen volunteers and Circulation Coordinators. Once you’ve found a sub, let your Circulation Coordinator know. If you are unable to find a sub, please let your Circulation Coordinator know ahead of time.
How do I contact my Circulation Coordinator?
How do I get my hours transferred to my school?
Fill out and submit this form:
Additional volunteer opportunities at the library include:
- Friends of the Library, our non-profit support group and hosts our annual Artisans’ Market
- Teens ages 13-18 can drop in to help with the Free Play program, Mondays at Laura’s from 4-7 pm. Come for the whole time, or any portion you can. Just bring your parent’s contact information with you.
- MLIS Practicum or Capstone Students – email the Associate Director
- Scouts – email us at email@example.com
There are also many volunteer opportunities around Austin. Here are some suggested outside resources: