I am interested in volunteering. What do I need to do?
- Fill out the correct application below and turn it into the checkout desk at either Westbank or Laura’s Library. We view volunteering as a gateway to your first job. That means we expect you to come in and turn in your application yourself – as you would if you were applying for a job.
- If we have openings, we will contact you to schedule an interview, which will last approximately 10-15 minutes.
- If you’re selected for a volunteer position, we will train you during your first scheduled shift. Shifts range from two to three hours per week, depending on the time and day of the week. Our libraries are very busy, so we expect you to be able to come every week and to commit for at least one semester.
- If you can’t make it, you will need to arrange to find a substitute.
How do I find a sub?
Send an email to email@example.com. Be sure to include the day, date, time, and at which library you work. These email requests are sent to all teen volunteers and Circulation Coordinators. Once you’ve found a sub, let your Circulation Coordinator know. See below for contact details. If you are unable to find a sub, please let your Circulation Coordinator know ahead of time.
How do I contact my Circulation Coordinator?
Please call 512-327-3045 and ask to speak to Circulation. If you prefer email, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I get my hours transferred to my school?
Fill out and submit the form at the bottom of this page.
I really need hours and there isn’t a spot available. How can I get hours?
If you are still looking for hours or can’t make a weekly commitment, we have a Teen Drop In & Do Some Good program. No need to sign up in advance. Bring your parents’ contact information when you come. For teens ages 13-18. Check the library calendar for dates. Signs are posted about upcoming Drop Ins in the library and on Facebook as well.
There are also many volunteer opportunities around Austin. Here are some suggested outside resources:
Steps for Applying
- Download your application
- Fill it out using Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar software
- Sign it
- Have your parent or guardian sign it
- Return it to the checkout desk at either library