I am interested in volunteering. What do I need to do?
- Fill out the correct application below and turn it into the checkout desk at either Westbank or Laura’s Library. We view volunteering as a gateway to your first job. That means we expect you to come in and turn in your application yourself – as you would if you were applying for a job.
- Subject to availability, schedule and come in for an interview, which will last approximately 10-15 minutes.
- If you’re selected for a volunteer position, we will have you come in on a day that you would be regularly scheduled to volunteer to shadow your Circulation Coordinator, and to begin to learn how things work behind the Circulation desk. Shifts range from two to three hours per week, depending on the time and day of the week. Our libraries are very busy, so we expect you to be able to come every week and to commit for at least one semester.
- If you can’t make it, you will need to arrange to find a substitute.
How do I find a sub?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the day, date, time, and at which library you work. These email requests are sent to all teen volunteers and Circulation Coordinators. Once you’ve found a sub, let your circulation coordinator know. See below for contact details. If you are unable to find a sub, please let your Circulation Coordinator know ahead of time.
How do I contact my Circulation Coordinator?
Please call 512-327-3045 and ask to speak to Circulation. If you prefer email, please send to email@example.com
How do I get my hours transferred to my school?
Fill out and submit the form at the bottom of this page.
Please note that you can only apply your hours to one organization at a time. For example, if you’ve volunteered a total of 12 hours, you can decide to split your hours, giving 4 hours to CHAPS and 8 hours to NHS. Or, you can choose to have 12 hours go entirely towards CHAPS or entirely towards NHS. However, you cannot give 12 hours to both CHAPS and NHS at the same time (you only have 12 hours total). If you have any questions about how this works, please be sure to ask one of the Circulation Coordinators.
I really need hours and there isn’t a spot available. How can I get hours?
If you are still looking for hours or can’t make a weekly commitment, we have a Teen Drop In & Do Some Good program. No need to sign up in advance. Bring your parents’ contact information when you come. For teens ages 13-18.
Below are the scheduled dates for 2017. Please double check the main calendar for any last minute changes.
|Westbank Library||Sunday, March 25th||1-4pm|
|Laura’s Library||Sunday, September 30th||1-4pm|
|Laura’s Library||Monday, October 8th||1-4pm|
There are also many volunteer opportunities around Austin. Here are some suggested outside resources:
Steps for Applying
- Download your application
- Fill it out using Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar software
- Sign it
- Have your parent or guardian sign it
- Return it to the checkout desk at either library